I just wanted a rendering engine that works, and decided on Ogre because there are tons of tutorials and samples sitting around so that I could get a feel for the API. Setting it up was not so easy, mostly because I did it wrong.
I didn't expect it to turn into a quest.
It is there! Yay! But it chokes on freeimage, and I can't find the demos anywhere. Instead, I find stuff about how I'd be better off just building from the site packages anyway from nearly everyone who bothered to state an opinion. So, I do that. Or start anyway. Basically put together the information in these two threads:
Which didn't actually solve the stated problem, but did get Ogre installed and linking and all the other fun stuff.
I wound up emerging OIS, CEGUI, and using portage for everything but Ogre itself. This will be mentioned again later. Yes, it will.
I still can't get the tutorials to run. I find the solution in the Ubuntu forums of all places.
Well, we already have it installed. So ignore endless reams of how to .configure && make && make install, and find at the very end of the post...
...that you just copy ExampleApplication.h to your source folder. No amount of trying to explain to g++ where it could be found in the Ogre source was working for me, so this solution makes me want to kick something. You also need to grab resources.cfg and edit it to point at the resources (or just grab the whole Media folder and stick it in your working directory too) and make a plugins.cfg (which also needs the line Plugin=Plugin_ParticleFX to get the tutorial to run).
But why is the framerate so low? Even for crappy hardware, it isn't that crappy.
And I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to look like that. How did could I manage to cut 'n paste code wrong?
Some things will just have to remain a mystery until I can be bothered to investigate.
Since the solution to getting the tutorials running was just raiding the parts I needed from the Ogre Demo, and I already had them why am I maintaining a rogue Ogre build instead of using the one from portage? So it gets a little out of date. Less hassle than fussing about with my own pkg-config paths and linking AND it built fine when I tried it the first time: I just couldn't find the demos.
So I emerged it. And it worked. And it was the same version anyway.
Slight update to plugins.cfg to point to /usr/lib/OGRE rather than /usr/local/lib/OGRE and everything still works.
I feel dumb for believing the internet. I'm about to feel even dumber.
One, meaning I, should pay attention to what they, also meaning I, type. Leaving out the / in
find / -iname "ExampleApplication.h"gets very different results than using it. Just so you, y'know, I, know.
The demos were in /usr/share/doc/ogre-<version whatever> all along. Doh.
Sept. 17, 2009